GoodLife’s Barking Collar BarkWise is a device designed to help stop excessive barking. It sounds good, but does it work? I wrote a review of BarkWise Complete so you can find out if it’s worth buying.
What makes BarkWise better than other anti-bark collars?
In my search for a good bark collar, I looked at a lot of different products so I can make a lot of comparisons. Based on my experience, I’ve highlighted a few particularly important features of the BarkWise:
- It has a remote control with a range of up to 75 feet. Most bark collars only work in automatic mode. This isn’t good, because not every bark has to be stopped. With the remote control, you can decide for yourself when to stop your pet. This kind of training is more effective. Besides, thanks to the remote control, this collar can also be used for training and dealing with other unwanted behaviors.
- Not only vibration, but also ultrasound. Vibration is sometimes not enough; some dogs don’t respond to it. Ultrasound, on the other hand, is a more effective but humane tool. The human ear can’t hear sounds at that frequency so you won’t be bothered by it.
- 60-day money-back guarantee. This allows you to return the collar if you’re not satisfied with the results. A 1-year manufacturer’s warranty also protects the BarkWise Complete.
- It is a humane device that doesn’t use shock, and if you don’t know that yet, read on. I am absolutely against such devices, and I am always in favor of safe methods.
There are other, less important, but nice features of the BarkWise, such as multiple colors, the light weight, the water resistance, and the audio signal feature (which allows you to hear when the collar is activated).
Why I like GoodLife
Like many others, I don’t trust products made by obscure companies or consumer goods from China. The manufacturers of the BarkWise collar, on the other hand, are trustworthy.
I am familiar with several products from GoodLife and know they are of high quality. GoodLife is a small company that specializes in a single product category – bark control products – so they know their business.
It’s nice to work with companies like this because they always have good customer support and lots of training materials. I think another big plus is that GoodLife products are made in the USA.
Does BarkWise really work?
Not every tool or training method works for ALL dogs. Each animal has its own physical and character traits.
It’s logical that BarkWise doesn’t work 100% of the time. That’s why there are disgruntled reviews that prove it doesn’t work. However, many positive reviews of BarkWise and even video proofs show that the device works.
This video shows how the BarkWise collar works on a dog that likes to bark at passing cars:
Another video from a customer. Her dog used to bark at everything. This led to complaints from the neighbors. And this is how her dog behaves now:
Will this work for your dog? You have to check it out. If the collar doesn’t work, you can get your money back. But remember that training your dog is gradual, not immediate. Sometimes you have to wait a week or two.
If you decide to buy the BarkWise collar, use my promo code for a discount:
Learn about other useful tools you can use to train your dog.
Disadvantages of BarkWise Complete
I found a few cons to this collar:
- It needs to be charged once a day. With continuous use, the battery lasts for 12 hours. On the other hand, you’ll still need to remove the collar from your dog periodically to prevent chafing, as well as during walks. Although it’s not necessary, GoodLife recommends using a harness instead of a leash collar. And I second that recommendation.
- Other animals will hear the ultrasound. If you have multiple animals (not just dogs) and they’re in the same room, they will all hear the ultrasound.
Some may see the lack of immediate results as a disadvantage. While this works immediately for some dogs, others need to be trained to understand the connection between ultrasound and excessive barking.
If you find any other disadvantages, post them in the comments!
How does BarkWise work?
I would like to briefly describe how this device works and explain some essential nuances. In automatic mode, BarkWise Complete works as follows:
- A bark detection sensor is triggered when the dog starts barking excessively. The precise system allows to accurately detect the excessive barking and doesn’t turn on at every noise.
- After that, vibration and ultrasound are activated. This stimulation usually doesn’t please dogs, so it stops them.
- The vibration and ultrasound go off when the dog becomes quiet. Over time, the dog realizes that it shouldn’t bark excessively to avoid hearing the unpleasant ultrasound. Additionally, I recommend reinforcing the result with treats. When the dog is quiet, immediately give him something tasty.
If you turn off the automatic mode, you will decide when to turn on the BarkWise collar. In my opinion, the latter option is better. However, the automatic mode can come in handy when you’re not home.
A few reminders about bark collars
Although I write a BarkWise review, I don’t recommend that everyone use it. You can’t tell your dog not to bark all the time. But I do know there are extreme cases where you can’t do without an assistive tool.
If your dog barks excessively and you can’t do anything about it, the bark collar may help. However, I still advise you to consult your vet immediately; what if a health problem is the cause of the barking? Also note the additional suggestions in my article How to stop dog barking.
Please use the anti-barking devices wisely to correct your dog’s behavior and not make it worse. Don’t neglect the instructions.
In closing my Barkwise Complete review, I wish you the best of luck with your dog! May the problem of excessive barking be solved!
- BEST dog organization ideas to keep your home tidy - June 1, 2023
- 10 Best behaved dog breeds - May 29, 2023
- My dog doesn’t bark. Is that normal? - May 17, 2023