In this review, I’ll show you the best dog ramps and stairs that help your dog easily climb onto elevated places like a bed, couch, or car’s back.
Old or sick dogs need this help because they may not be able to climb onto a bed or into a car. In addition, this can lead to injury. Ramps are also useful for small dogs that cannot jump high.
- Quick Pick Table
- USA Made Adjustable Pet Ramp for All Dogs
- Foam Pet Steps
- Dog Stairs & Ramp
- Dog Steps & Ramp 2 in 1
- Wooden Cat & Dog Stairs
- Telescoping Pet Ramp
- Natural Step Ramp for Vehicles
- Dog Ramps-Stairs
- Bi-Fold Dog Car Ramp, Tan
- HITCH STEP
- Buyer’s guide
Quick Pick Table
Last update on 2023-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you need a dog ramp for your home, the best option is the USA Made Adjustable Pet Ramp. It’s foldable and height-adjustable. For small dogs who have difficulty climbing up the couch or bed, the Best Pet Supplies Foam Pet Steps will work.
The best dog ramp for the car is the PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp. You can also consider a 2-in-1 ramp (suitable for home and car use).
USA Made Adjustable Pet Ramp for All Dogs
In my opinion, this is a great option for the home. This ramp combines quality, usability, and an attractive look.
What I like:
- 6 positions for height adjustment;
- the frame is made of sturdy birch wood;
- can hold up to 200 lbs;
- folds up for easy storage (can be stuffed under a bed or in a closet);
- ribbed mat for good traction;
- excellent quality (made in the USA).
Foam Pet Steps
If your little dog needs help getting on the bed or couch, but you don’t want to buy a bulky, heavy ramp, these padded steps might be for you.
What I like:
- 3 sizes (with three, four, and five steps);
- a wide range of colors;
- relatively inexpensive price;
- removable, washable cover;
- fits inside the room;
- made in the USA from premium materials to ensure durability.
But. These steps are not handy to store if you want to put them away for a while. Plus, they can be slippery.
Dog Stairs & Ramp
This is another option for a sofa or bed ramp, but it’s much more stable. It’s easy to assemble and disassemble. The ramp is lightweight, sturdy and great quality.
The removable mat is washable. You can choose the ramp in two colors: chocolate and tan. Recommended for dogs up to 150 lbs.
Dog Steps & Ramp 2 in 1
I recommend buying this stair ramp if you don’t know yet what is most comfortable for your dog. Some dogs easily climb up an incline, others are more comfortable climbing stairs. This 2-in-1 thing will help you find the best option for your dog.
It looks stylish, and in my opinion, would look good if your home is in a modern style.
Wooden Cat & Dog Stairs
Some dog ramps don’t really fit into the interior. That’s not the case with this furniture-style ramp.
It’s made of wood, which makes it very sturdy and stable. It comes in two sizes (two steps and three steps) and suitable for dogs up to 200 pounds.
Telescoping Pet Ramp
It is a telescopic, adjustable ramp from the popular pet supplies manufacturer PetSafe. It will fit cars of different heights, from minivans to SUVs.
What I like:
- it’s made of sturdy aluminum and can withstand up to 400 pounds (it’s been tested for durability);
- easy to unfold and fold;
- the large angle of inclination makes it easy for your dog to climb;
- lightweight, only 13 lbs (meaning it’s not hard to lift);
- the small side handrails prevent paws from slipping;
- the surface is easy to clean from dirt.
So I think this is one of the best dog ramps for the car.
Natural Step Ramp for Vehicles
It is another option for a dog ramp for vehicles, but a little cheaper. And it folds up differently. The ramp fits a variety of vehicles, including trucks, SUVs, and Jeeps. Gen7Pets also has a mini backseat ramp.
What I like:
- it looks like a suitcase with a handle when folded. This ramp is easy to carry and store in the trunk;
- relatively lightweight (17 lbs);
- sturdy case made of thick plastic.
Still, this ramp is inferior to the previous one. It is heavier, and the carpeting is more difficult to clean.
The manufacturer offers a 4-step and a 5-step ladder. It can be used near the trunk or side entrance of the car. The ramp is also suitable for home use.
What I like:
- the ladder is light and compact when folded and easy to carry;
- it’s made of aluminum;
- choice of steps with non-slip rubber coating or mat;
- it is possible to adjust the angle of incline to make the descent more gentle;
- It comes with a safety strap that hooks inside and keeps the steps from slipping gout.
Bi-Fold Dog Car Ramp, Tan
This ramp can be used near the couch as well as for the car. I like its design and reliable construction. The ramp folds easily and can be transported with one handle. The tread prevents your dog from slipping when climbing up, and you can remove and wash it if needed.
The Pet Gear ramp is suitable for dogs up to 200 pounds.
In the end of the best dog ramps list, I want to offer you an alternative to the ramp – foldable steps for the car. I find them convenient because:
- they can be folded up in a few simple steps;
- it doesn’t take up space in the trunk.
The height of the steps can be adjusted. They can hold up to 200 pounds.
When choosing a ramp for your home or car, pay attention to the following parameters:
- how much weight the product can support;
- how stable it is;
- whether the ramp can be folded for convenient storage;
- how much the ramp weighs (if it’s too heavy, you won’t feel comfortable);
- how easy you can clean it. The rubber coating is enough to wipe down, but the carpets must be washed somehow. Also, outdoor ramps should be made of moisture-resistant materials.
Tip: Look for adjustable ramps, so you do not miscalculate the length. You will be able to adjust the length.
Here’s another helpful video on the subject:
Is a ramp or stairs better for dogs?
Ramps are the best choice in most cases because they are easier to climb.
Are dog ramps worth it?
A ramp is really necessary for older dogs and dogs with arthritis. Ramps make your dog’s life easier and prevent accidents.
Should dogs with arthritis use stairs?
Dogs with arthritis are not recommended to walk up and down stairs because such movements put extra stress on the joints. There is also a high risk of falling down stairs. Therefore, dogs with arthritis should use a ramp.
How wide should thr dog ramp be?
The width of the ramp should be a few centimeters wider than the width of the dog’s shoulders.
Sources: Petmd, https://blog.handicappedpets.com/are-stairs-bad-for-dogs-with-arthritis
Save this article on Pinterest so you don’t lose it!
Do I really need a ramp for my dog? Some dogs have a hard time climbing onto a couch or other elevated places. One wrong jump can lead to injury. In addition, the constant difficult climbs and descents take a toll on the joints, and for older dogs, it causes discomfort and pain. Therefore, it is better to buy a ramp for these dogs.
- BEST dog organization ideas to keep your home tidy - June 1, 2023
- 10 Best behaved dog breeds - May 29, 2023
- My dog doesn’t bark. Is that normal? - May 17, 2023