Dogs can suffer a lot from the summer heat, especially breeds with long hair. They do not want to sleep in their hot beds. A cooling bed can help in this situation. Some cooling beds are made of special fabric, others have a cooling effect due to their filling (for example, water or special gel).
Which one is the best choice? In this article, I made a review of the best cooling dog beds to help you make your choice.
Table of quick choices
Last update on 2024-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
To help your dog cool down, you can use a mat with a special gel inside. You can put this mat on the floor, on the dog bed or anywhere else.
If you need a bed with orthopedic support, consider the BarkBox Cooling Bed With Memory Foam.
Maximum cooling is given by a water-filled bed like the K&H Pet Products Coolin’ Comfort Bed.
Review of the best cooling beds
Cooling Mat For Dogs
How does it cool? A cooling mat is handy and practical. It doesn’t need to be frozen or filled with water. The cooling effect is produced by the gel inside the mat. It’s activated by pressure when the dog lies down and works for up to three hours.
Cooling level: ❄️❄️❄️❄️
You can place the mat over a soft dog bed or simply on the floor. The mat is so lightweight you can take it anywhere, including camping. However, don’t use it for puppies or dogs that tend to chew.
Coolin’ Comfort Bed
How does it cool? To make this bed work, you have to add water inside. It dissipates the heat that comes from the dog. Also the cover made of nylon fabric helps to cool down on hot days.
Cooling level: ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️
Gel Based Self Cooling Mat
How does it cool? The cooling effect of the gel lasts for three hours. Then it must be “recharged” The mat recharges automatically within 15 minutes.
Cooling level: ❄️❄️❄️❄️
Traditional cooling mats can be too thin and won’t provide the comfort your dog needs. The ARF PETS mat, on the other hand, has an extra foam mattress and bolsters. Dogs love to sleep on such beds.
I think it can be used in a crate.
Cooling Bed With Memory Foam
How does it cool? It is an orthopedic bed with gel memory foam, which has a thermo-regulating effect. The gel keeps the temperature stable (it doesn’t overheat in hot weather and doesn’t cool down in winter).
Cooling level: ❄️❄️❄️❄️
The top cover is made of durable waterproof fabric. Unlike various plush covers, this fabric isn’t too hot to sleep on.
Cooling Elevated Pet Bed
How does it cool? Since the bed is above the ground, it doesn’t get too hot, and the breathable fabric provides good air circulation.
Cooling level: ❄️
This is one of the simplest and cheapest beds suitable for summer heat. The raised dog beds are good for outdoor use because they protect from the ground and moisture.
Outdoor Dog Cooling Bed
How does it cool? This is also a raised bed, but it comes with a canopy. This provides extra protection from the scorching rays of the sun.
Cooling level: ❄️❄️
This bed is well suited for the backyard. It can also be folded up and carried with you on camping, for example.
Save this article on Pinterest so you don’t lose it!
What is the best cooling bed for my dog?
Several types of cooling beds may be suitable for different cases:
- Cooling beds that are filled with water. These can be used when your dog is really suffering from the heat. They’re well cooled and can stay cold for up to 7 hours. But if you leave it in the sun, it will heat up quickly. Plus, it’s not very comfortable.
- Cooling gel beds. This is one of the best options. They work whenever the dog lies down, and you don’t need to do anything. The special gel absorbs the heat and lowers the temperature. You can choose a portable mat with cooling gel or a bed with orthopedic memory foam.
- Elevated cooling beds. This is the simplest option. They don’t have special cooling elements and reduce heat due to their design and well-ventilated fabric. Such beds are convenient for outdoor use and camping.
Does my dog need a cooling bed?
Dogs have a problem with heat because they don’t have as many sweat glands as humans. If the dog overheats, it can get heat stroke.
Last update on 2024-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Dogs can only cope with the heat by snuggling up to a cooling surface. I’d rather have my pet lie on a mat or bed than on the floor. This way, the animal is more comfortable.
In addition, cooling beds have other benefits:
- the dog will sleep better;
- reduces the pain of joint conditions;
- it’s good for older dogs, which are often restless and can’t find a place to sleep.
So I recommend a cooling bed or at least a mat. What do you think about it?
- How to make OUTDOOR DIY dog potty area - June 18, 2023
- BEST dog organization ideas to keep your home tidy - June 1, 2023
- 10 Best behaved dog breeds - May 29, 2023