Soft dog crates are a good option for transportation or camping. They cost less than metal or wooden crates. They are also lightweight and portable.
In this article, you’ll learn how to choose the best soft crate. I will also give an overview of popular products.
- Quick Pick table
- 7 best soft dog crates
- Who are soft crates good for?
- Buyer’s guide
Quick Pick tableTable could not be displayed.
7 best soft dog crates
Best value – 2PET Foldable Dog Crate
This crate is suitable for different needs. It can be used outdoors or indoors.
Available sizes: M 24in, L 28in, XLin 32in, XXL 36in
Colors: Blue, grey, red
What I like:
- It has a steel frame and waterproof oxford 600D fabric.
- The 2PET can be used as a carry crate (it has handles on the top), and it is very lightweight.
- The full-frontal zipper design with dog protection
- Washable cover.
- Water bottle and container holder on the crate and the waterproof mat are included in the set.
- I also like that the manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty.
- Available in 4 sizes & 3 colors.
- Not a high price.
The only drawback I found is that the grids on the windows are not very sturdy. But this is a common problem.
Petsfit Portable Soft Dog Crate – best for travel
Available sizes: S (19.5″x20″x20″), M (30″x24.5″x25″), L (35.5″x29″x30″)
I think this dog crate is best for travel because you can assemble it in less than a minute. It is important because you will have to fold/unfold it often. You don’t need to assemble the frame; the construction is supported by steel wire. The crate carrying case is made of durable fabric, that will last longer.
Petsfit’s soft crate is worth considering for other reasons as well:
- it’s made of durable oxford fabric and a grid with hexagonal structure (judging by the reviews, this grid withstands many endurance tests);
- it has steel lockable zippers and a waterproof bottom.
A soft mattress is included. Unfortunately, the Petsfit crate only comes in one color, gray.
I didn’t find any information on how to wash the crate cover. I don’t think it can be machine washed because there is steel wire sewn inside. That is a big disadvantage. So you have to decide what is more important to you: easy assembly or easy washing.
yoken Collapsible Dog Crate – best choice
Available sizes: XS (31.5″L x 22.8″W x 22.8″H), S (38.6″L x 26.8″W x 26.7″H), M (25.6″Lx17.7″Wx17.7″H), L (26.4″Lx18.1″Wx18.1″H), XL (32.7″Lx23.2″Wx23.2″H), XXL (37.4″Lx26″Wx26″H)
Colors: grey, blue, beige, green camouflage, yellow camouflage
Yoken soft crate is also made of a steel frame and durable oxford fabric. Customers report that the product looks really high quality.
What I like:
- the extra fabric covers to protect the corners;
- 3 doors (with three doors you can put the crate in any position);
- non-slip zippers and scratch-resistant mesh reduce the possibility ofthe dog escaping;
- waterproof bottom to protect against accidents;
- easy assembly (many people tell about it in their reviews);
- a side pocket for storing treats or other stuff;
- 1-year warranty from the manufacturer.
The manufacturer offers crates in six sizes. It’s often difficult to find the right size crate.
If you don’t plan to use the crate as a carrier, this one is a good choice. You probably won’t be able to carry your dog in the Yoken crate because it doesn’t have proper handles or a sturdy bottom.
X-ZONE PET 3-Door Dog Soft Crate
Available sizes: 24 inch, 28 inch, 32 inch, 36 inch, 40 inch
Colors: rice white, carbon black
This soft dog crate is similar to the previous one from Yoken, but the difference is the carrying handles. So you can carry your dog in this crate, although it probably won’t work for big dogs.
What else I liked:
- the 3 doors on different sides for usability and breathability;
- the frame is made of strong steel tube;
- the cover is made of high quality durable 600D fabric and hexagonal mesh;
- the washable cover;
- the manufacturer offers 4 sizes and 2 colors, white and black;
- the cover is reinforced at the corners;
- one pocket on the top of the crate and a second removable pocket.
The manufacturer claims that they use self-closing zippers, but I didn’t notice how they differ from normal zippers.
Also, many people complain that the large X-zone crate is not really suitable for large dogs. Be warned.
Zampa Pet Portable Crate
Available sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL
Colors: blue, pink, grey, brown, red
The Zampa crate is not much different from the others on this list. It is also made of quality materials, but it has its features:
- The mesh windows are small and set high. This is good, as your dog is more likely to tear through the larger windows. And, in fact, dogs like more enclosed shelters.
- An extra zipper latch prevents escape. If I were the manufacturer, I’d add this element to all crates. It’s simple and genius, as dogs often get out of their crates by unzipping them.
This soft crate comes in 6 sizes.
Although the manufacturer claims the crate can be used as a carrier, this is not true. Because of the soft canvas bottom, you’ll not be able to carry your dog comfortably; the bottom will sag. The only option is to put some rigid backing on the bottom.
Petsfit Portable Soft Dog Crate
Available sizes: S, M, L, XL
Colors: brown + beige, yellow-green
This Petsfit crate is characterized by its quality. What I liked:
- the reliable steel zippers;
- the sturdy mesh with scratch protection;
- the unique frame connections with spiral structure;
- the small connecting elements are also made of steel;
- 4 mesh walls for good ventilation;
- non-slip sheets prevent pets from being frightened by sliding.
I’ve not found any disadvantages. The only pity is that the crate can’t be used as a carrier.
EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
Available sizes: XS (20″L x 14″W x 14″H), S (24″L x 18″W x 21″H), M (30″L x 21″W x 24″H), L (36″L x 24″W x 28″H), XL (42″L x 28″W x 32″H)
Colors: brown, red, blue, white, purple, maroon, beige
The number of reviews prompted me to look at this soft dog crate. It’s made of oxford fabric cover with a steel frame.
What I liked:
- a shoulder strap for carrying;
- you can easily fold up the crate and bring it in a carrying bag;
- snaps for zippers that prevent your dog from escaping;
- EliteField provides a 2-year warranty;
- 3 mesh doors for convenience;
- a padded mat and an extra pocket included.
And many dog owners will also be pleased with the wide range of colors that I haven’t seen from other manufacturers.
Save this article on Pinterest so you don’t lose it!
Who are soft crates good for?
Soft crates are suitable for several purposes:
- For traveling and transporting your dog on public transportation, in your hands, and in the car. Soft crates are comfortable and lightweight. They’re easy to foldand unfold and don’t take up much space when folded.
- As a house for small dogs that do not chew on things.
In general, soft dog crates are not as good for holding dogs as metal ones.
For large Fido and dogs prone to disruptive behavior, I would recommend an indestructible metal crate. You can also buy a furniture kennel for home use. And for puppies, plastic would be more appropriate.
To choose a good soft crate for your pet, pay attention to the following parameters:
- Durable fabric. It is better to prefer crates made of waterproof nylon or oxford fabric. Also, pay attention to the mesh. Often manufacturers make the mistake of using a thin mesh. Dogs quickly tear it with their claws or teeth.
- Quality of seams. No matter how strong the fabric is, bad seams can ruin everything. Such a tent will quickly become dilapidated. Ensure the crate parts are double-stitched and there are no threads sticking out anywhere. The edges of the fabric should be hidden inside the seam.
- A sturdy frame. The second most important element of the construction is the frame. If it breaks, the kennel can be thrown away. This happens more often with plastic frames. Steel frames are more stable and durable. So prefer steel if you want to use your staff longer.
- Ease washing. The cover should be removable so you can wash it in the machine.
- Secure locks. Look for dog-proof locks so your dog can’t unzip them.
- Availability of carrying handles. If you’re going to carry your dog in the crate, it should have handles and a sturdy bottom.
For the car, it is better to choose a crate that can be attached to the seat with a seat belt.
Large windows are not necessary because dogs prefer more enclosed shelters. But the crate should have adequate ventilation.
Can I use a soft crate for my puppy?
You can use a soft crate as a carrier for your puppy. But it would not be prudent to keep your puppy in such a crate. Since puppies are teething, they tend to chew on everything.
Will a puppy chew up a soft crate?
Most likely, yes. That’s why you should choose a sturdier crate for puppies.
Are Soft crates safe in car?
A good fabric crate is a better option than a common metal crate that has not passed crash tests. This is because such crates can break on impact and injure your dog. This will not be the case with soft crates. But full protection in case of accidents can only be provided by solid crates that have passed the crash test.
Can you crate train a dog with a soft crate?
I don’t recommend starting crate training with a soft crate because the dog will most likely scratch at the crate and try to get out of it. So for crate training you need a more stable crate.
- BEST dog organization ideas to keep your home tidy - June 1, 2023
- 10 Best behaved dog breeds - May 29, 2023
- My dog doesn’t bark. Is that normal? - May 17, 2023